I have two major areas of interest at the moment:
- Social Emotions Lab. Our research lies at the intersection of social and personality psychology, affective science, and contemplative science to explore questions about social perception, emotion, and behavior. Some topics of interest include dispositional happiness, positive emotions, time perception, mindfulness, awkwardness, social connection and isolation, and the role of technology in social interaction and well-being.
- Evidence-Based Teaching. I investigate and implement active learning methods based on the scholarship of teaching and learning. I am particularly interested in the role of social interaction and collaboration in learning. I also coach an evidence-based teaching discussion group at the Center for Teaching and Learning, and write a weekly teaching idea exchange column in the Psychology department newsletter.
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Kirkland, T., Gruber, J., & Cunningham, W. A. (2015). Comparing happiness and hypomania risk: A study of extraversion and neuroticism aspects. Public Library of Science ONE, 10, e0132438. [pdf]
- Cunningham, W. A., & Kirkland, T. (2014). The joyful, yet balanced, amygdala: Moderated responses to positive but not negative stimuli in trait happiness. Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience, 9, 760-766. [pdf]
- Kirkland, T., & Cunningham, W. A. (2012). Mapping emotions through time: How affective trajectories inform the language of emotion. Emotion, 12, 268-282. [pdf]
- Cunningham, W. A., & Kirkland, T. (2012). Emotion, cognition, and the classical elements of mind. Emotion Review, 4, 369-370. [pdf]
- Kirkland, T., & Cunningham, W. A. (2011). Neural basis of affect and emotion. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Sciences, 2, 656-665. [pdf]
- Kirkland, T., & Karkhanis, D. G. (2017/01). Want your students to learn more? Test them in groups! Noba Project. [link]
- Karkhanis, D. G., & Kirkland Turowski, T. (2015/05). Group exams improve student learning. Psychology Teacher Network, 25, 8-10. [pdf]
- Kirkland Turowski, T. & Karkhanis, D. G. (2014/10). Group exams improve student learning. Poster presented to the Society for the Teaching of Psychology at Annual Conference on Teaching. Recipient of Early Career Psychologist Committee Outstanding Poster Award. [pdf]